Synapses and neurotransmitters – how your brain is supposed to work and why your feeling down
Depression and anxiety can be traced back to an organic cause that happens within the brain itself, and that cause is the brain not having enough of the neurotransmitter serotonin to allow it to run well.
Serotonin can be likened to something like oil in a car. Your brain burns through serotonin like a car burns through oil.
If your brain is constantly stressed, it will possibly burn through the serotonin faster than your body can restore it. And like running out of oil in a car, running out of serotonin is NOT GOOD.
If you run out of serotonin messages in some parts of the brain won’t be delivered in a normal way and your brain will act like a junk heap of a car on its way out.
Here’s an image that explains how serotonin is involved in message delivery… (with the addition of diamond shaped ecstasy molecules for good measure)
This begs the question, if you run out of serotonin how do you get it back?
- You need to learn how to function on low serotonin until it is restored.
- You need to learn to chill out, slow down and manage your stressors better so you don’t use up so much damn serotonin.
- You need to do things that will increase your serotonin creation
- You COULD go on some medications, proven to slow the rate that serotonin leaves your brain (SSRIs)
- Then wait… and it will be restored in time.
Once you get your serotonin levels back and right… DON’T USE IT ALL UP AGAIN because depression and anxiety SUCKS.